This section is for all members who would like to contribute to this platform, Please share your information to help others who would like to start a career that you have or had hands-on experience. We will create specific page and add more information for learners.
Thank you to all the members for sharing job experience and information to help other members.
Member Contribution: dcbsteve
What precisely do you do? What are the duties/functions/responsibilities of your job?
1. IT Tier 2 / System Analyst
What is your job like?
2. I provide It services in a PSAP environment.
How much job security do you have in this position?
3. I’m a contractor so not much. But I’ve built a great relationship with my boss
What is a typical day like?
4. Provide IT services for Police, Fire, EMS and 911 Call takers/Dispatchers at the Call Center.
What kind of hours do you normally work?
5. It’s a 24hr environment, so I’ve worked all type of hours
Do you have to put in much overtime or work on weekends?
6. If I’m asked
Do you ever take work home with you?
What kinds of problems do you deal with?
8. Costumers, Hardware issues, Software issues etc..
What do you do if you can’t solve a problem on your own?
9. I ask a co-worker or figure it out.
What kinds of decisions do you make?
10. Practical decisions
Describe some of the toughest situations you’ve faced in this job.
11. I was thrown into a project that one of my managers couldn’t or didn’t complete and i had a week to figure it out
To what extent do you interact with customers/clients?
12. Always try to stay professional.
How does your time use vary? Are there busy and slow times or is the work activity fairly constant?
13. It’s unpredictable sometimes heavy traffic sometimes slow
Which other departments, functional units, or levels of the hierarchy do you regularly interact with?
14. Engineers and management
How much flexibility do you have in determining how you perform your job?
15. 100% flexibility
Is your work primarily individual or predominately in groups or teams?
16. Mostly individual except during deployments
What do you like and not like about working in this job?
17. I like the fact that there’s always room to learn. I don’t like lazy co-workers who leave you with the workload
Do you find your job exciting or boring? Why?
18. There’s never a dole day in a PSAP environment
What particular skills or talents are most essential to be effective in your job?
19. Problem solving and being able to adapt to the environment.
How did you learn these skills? (Links,Sites, etc)
What are the educational, requirements for this job?
21. at least an Associate Degree (which i don’t have lol)
Is graduate school recommended? An MBA? Some other graduate degree or certifications?
How has your job affected your lifestyle?
23. I’ve become more of a nerd and homebody.
To what extent does this job present a challenge in terms of juggling work and family life?
24. Newly wed and no kids so it’s cool for now…
What are the major frustrations of this job?
25. Traffic and also being lost in some conversations due to lack of knowledge in terminology
If you could change anything about your job, what would it be?
26. My contract
Is there a great deal of turnover in this job?
How many people do you supervise?
28. All the new hires
If you ever left your job, what would most likely drive you away?
29. Health Issues or Years of boredom